EU Nationals


As an EU or EEA national you are not obliged by law to apply to the Alien Police for a residence permit. Nonetheless, there are conditions which you must fulfil in order to remain legally in the Netherlands. Below is a brief description of the rules that apply to you as an EU/EEA citizen if you wish to enter the Netherlands for a short or a long stay. If you require a work permit to work in the Netherlands the rules are different

Short stay (less than three months)

Any citizen of one of the member states of the EU or EEA may stay in the Netherlands for three months, e.g. for a holiday, on business or to look for work. During such a period you must have a valid travel document and sufficient money to be able to live. You will not usually be checked, however you should carry your passport at all times.

Working in the Netherlands as an employee

If you wish to work in the Netherlands, you must have a valid passport and of course a job. Your employer does not require an employment permit for this purpose. If you do not yet have a job, you may stay in the Netherlands for three months in order to seek work. Once you have found a job, you can apply for a residence permit to the Aliens Department of the municipality where you are or will be staying.If your employment contract is for more than 12 months you should register to get a residence permit for EU/EEA citizens (known as 'the E card'), which remains valid for 5 years. If you have a job for less than a year, you will be given a residence permit for the duration of the employment. For example, if you have found a job for 6 months, you will get a permit for this period. If you have a job for less than three months, you can obtain a sticker in your passport from the Aliens Department.

During your stay in the Netherlands you must always have sufficient financial means to support yourself.

Applying for a residence permit

If you intend to stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months you may report to the Aliens Department at the local police station.

You should take the following items with you when applying:-

  • A passport or other document for crossing borders.

  • Copy of your rental/housing contract.

  • A statement from your employer and/or your contract of employment.

  • Two colour passport photographs.

  • If you do not qualify as an employee, the papers showing that you have a medical expenses insurance policy that covers all risks in the Netherlands.

Town Hall

Once you have proof that you have been to the Alien Police you have to go to the Town Hall. In some cities the Town Hall is located in the same building as the Alien Police so it is convenient to go at the same time. To register at the Town Hall for the first time in the Netherlands you need again documentation a full list can be obtained from us. Once you have registered ask for a printout as proof you have registered. Within a few weeks you will receive confirmation by letter that your registration is complete - check the details and notify them of any corrections. It is best to obtain a residence permit, as it can have certain advantages. For example, you accumulate residence qualification under the law on aliens, thereby becoming eligible after five years to a permanent residence permit. It is also proof of legal residence status. Not only the authorities may require production of the permit; other bodies too such as banks, telephone companies may - rightly or wrongly - ask to see your residence permit before entering into a contract with you.

Non EU/EEC Nationals

Non EU or EEC citizens require a Work Permit and a residence permit (MVV) to live and work in the Netherlands. In order to qualify for a work permit you need to have a job and an employer who is willing to apply for a work permit on your behalf for which you must also have specialised skills and experience which could not be found within the Netherlands or the EU/EEC. Magenta is such an employer of qualified and experienced IT staff. Your employer will be the work permit holder. Without a valid work permit you cannot remain in the Netherlands regardless of the end date of your MVV/Residence card. Your MVV (provisional Residence Permit) is an entry visa only. Once you enter the Netherlands you are not permitted to travel outside of the country (as you will be unable to re-enter). This means you should not leave the Netherlands (without informing the police), until the police have issued your residence card. This procedure takes approximately 2 months, thereafter you are free to travel within the EU.